Hemlines, or bottom lines? Behind front row glamour
It all looks so glamorous: models walking the runway; celebrities on the front row; the anticipation of next year's must have item — the bag, the coat, the perfect five-inch heels.
Those sitting in the boardrooms don’t simply spend all their time reviewing the latest fashion lines.
But behind all the glitz and glamour of the fashion industry there are real businesses facing challenges that demand effective and not terribly glamourous solutions. Those sitting in the boardrooms don’t simply spend all their time reviewing the latest fashion lines. Their jobs are a much harder and more complex balancing act.
They must be able to tackle the special issues that come with running a creative business. At the same time, they need the fundamental skills demanded by any successful business in challenging economic environments. What does a fashion company boardroom really look like? It’s serious, driven and filled with people who are as focused on the triple bottom line (social, environmental and financial) as they are hem lines.
Fashion companies have to hold on to their creative spirit and panache (often rooted in century-old designs and history) in modern times. They have to be mobile, web-enabled, global. They must think about competing in a world of ever-smaller margins and cut-throat markets.
Consumers demand something fresh and special at a faster and faster pace, even as new lines remain tied to a set structure of seasons. But designing and fabricating the latest ‘looks’ in time for the twice-yearly runways of Paris, Milan, London, and New York puts a huge amount of pressure not only on designers, but also on those running the businesses and those in the boardrooms. And add to that the challenge of working with talented and creative individuals who can sometimes be mercurial.
- PM on the way to return home
- A story of breast cancer sufferer
- Akshay Kumar takes a dip in the holy Ganga
- ‘RAB is not responsible for the Seven-Murder’
- Biswa Ijtema 2nd phase begins
- Kareena will join fashion week in Mumbai
- 2 arrested with huge fake passports in Mohammadpur
- 38 BNP leaders and activists arrested in Gaibandha
- 17 shops gutted in Borguna
- Tanu murder’s 10 months: rising anger and frustration
- Soumya and Shakib save Bangladesh, out for 289
- Judicial probe body blamed MP salim Osman
- Henceforth Neimer’s goal
- US air strikes killed 80 IS militants
- 2nd phase of Biswa Ijtema begins today
- Home ministry divided into 2 divisions
- N’ganj teacher assault: probe report submitted
- Bad news for BCB
- 2nd phase of Biswa Ijtema starts Friday
- 39 jailed in India for human trafficking
- Reckless truck took away 24 children’s lives in India
- 15 members of ‘human trafficking gang’ held
- Robber killed in Kushtia ‘gunfight’
- 2 killed in Kushtia truck collision
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!