Ship-builders ask for govt suppport
The shipbuilding industry has sought an incentive package from the government to make the country's shipyards competitive against those of Vietnam, India and China.
The proposal was made yesterday by the leaders of the Association of Export Oriented Shipbuilding Industries of Bangladesh at a meeting with Finance Minister AMA Muhith.
Md Sakhawat Hossain, the association's general secretary, urged the minister to make the cost of finance for shipbuilding similar to those of other competing countries in Asia.
Precisely, the shipbuilders demanded consolidated bank guarantee issuing cost as 1.5 percent a year and long-term funding at 7 percent interest and working capital with single digit rates.
The industry now gets short-term loans, so a minimum duration of 8 to 10 years would help in repayment, Hossain said.
If the cost of financing cannot be brought down to their desired levels, they called for the cash incentive on export of ships to be increased from the existing 5 percent to 15 percent in the budget for fiscal 2015-16.
“If the incentive is granted, we are confident of securing more international orders and thereby add more values to the economy,” he said.
The association also proposed a refinancing scheme of Tk 2,000 crore that would be re-loaned to the shipbuilding industry at single digit interest rate.
This would facilitate the shipbuilders to develop their businesses further and progress their ongoing work orders for 20-25 ships.
Recently, the industry received orders from New Zealand, East Africa and India, which, Hossain said, shows the global shipbuilding market is showing keen interest in Bangladesh. The upcoming treaty between Bangladesh and India on Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade may create a huge demand for coastal ships, he said.
“If our shipyards are not competitive in the Asian market, we may lose all the opportunities of getting these orders,” Hossain added.
The minister said their proposals will be scrutinised.
- 6 months’ jail for driving car without licence
- ‘Hasina supports India for making country desert’
- 13 year hell for Chinese man after traditional practice
- ‘Everyone is calling me a badass and I like it’
- India to seal border with Bangladesh and Pakistan
- HC to deliver verdict April 2 for Rajib killing
- Tigers starts campaign with a comfortable win
- Bandarban fire burns 30 shops, four houses
- Gunshots and blasts near militant den goes on
- ‘BNP patronized the fundamentalists forces’
- Sunny Leone’s beach holiday includes sun, sand and bikinis
- Two militants killed in Sylhet Militant den
- Al Qaeda leader Qari killed in US air strike
- Mehedi's ODI inclusion was my decision: Papon
- 13 killed and 9 injured in Chuadanga road crash
- Militancy will be dispelled, says PM
- Wounded Rab director Azad to be taken to Singapore
- Section 144 imposed near militant den Atia Mahal
- Grow up, being a little sad is not a sign of mental illness
- Katrina returns from the shoot of ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’ in Austria
- Tigers leave a massive target for Sri Lanka
- Crocodile attack kills a man in Barguna
- Fakhrul questions death of bomb-carrier
- CCC polls is a challenge for democratic journey
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!