Queen Nefertiti's tomb on the way...
An Egyptologist behind a new theory that ancient Queen Nefertiti's tomb may be hidden behind King Tutankhamun's 3,300-year-old tomb in the famed Valley of the Kings has been invited to come to Cairo to debate his ideas, Egypt's Antiquities Ministry said Wednesday.
The ministry said Britain-educated Nicholas Reeves will have the opportunity to discuss his theory with Egyptian colleagues in September. A joint expedition to Luxor, where the 18th Dynasty King Tut's tomb is located, could be on the agenda, the ministry said.
There was no immediate response from Reeves, whose theory has attracted a lot of attention on the Internet and social media but has not been officially reviewed by peers.
Reeves argues that Tut, who died at the age of 19, may have been rushed into an outer chamber of what was originally the tomb of Nefertiti.
He claims high-resolution images of what is known as King Tut's tomb include linear traces underneath plastered surfaces of painted walls, showing there could be two unexplored doorways, one of which leading possibly to Nefertiti's tomb. He also argues that the design of King Tut's tomb suggests it was built for a queen, rather than a king.
DNA testing in 2010 has provided strong evidence suggesting that Tut's father was likely the Pharaoh Akhenaten, who introduced an early form of monotheism. The testing also brought a new discovery, that Tut's mother was Akhenaten's sister.
Still, some archaeologists believe the two were cousins and that their similar DNAs were the product of generations of marriages between close relatives - and that Nefertiti, Akhenaten's chief wife, may in fact have been Tut's mother.
Reeves has not responded to an email from The Associated Press requesting an interview.
Aidan Dodson, an Egyptologist at the University of Bristol, is skeptical.
“The observations are very interesting, the possibility that there are hidden chambers behind those walls is a reasonable suggestion, but it's the jump to Nefertiti [being] behind the door that I would find somehow problematic,'' said Dodson. "There's absolutely no example of anyone ever doing that to a tomb.”
Dodson told the AP that he is leaning toward the theory that Nefertiti is indeed Tut's mother.
- Grow up, being a little sad is not a sign of mental illness
- Katrina returns from the shoot of ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’ in Austria
- Tigers leave a massive target for Sri Lanka
- Crocodile attack kills a man in Barguna
- Fakhrul questions death of bomb-carrier
- CCC polls is a challenge for democratic journey
- Saudi embassy confirms UK attacker from Saudi
- Nation observes 'Genocide Day' for the very first time
- Couple’s throat-slit bodies found in Bandarban
- 69 rescued from ‘Sylhet militant den'
- Teesta deal is a matter of time: Obaidul
- SWAT team begins operation in Sylhet ‘militant den’
- Mashrafe not fixating on rankings in ODIs
- The tortoise chases a ball around the room like a dog
- Kangana gifts herself a bungalow for 30th birthday
- Two more held over British parliament attack
- Mymensingh road crash kills 10
- Police call militants of ‘Atia Mahal’ for surrender
- General Diary filed over Bangladesh Bank fire
- Arifa’s ‘killer’ ex-husband arrested from Tangail
- Voting ends in Gaibandha-1 by-polls
- Tigers lose narrowly in the warm up match
- Spending on education not expenditure: PM
- No outlet in name of AL allowed: Obaidul Quader
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!