Seabirds eating plastic!
Ninety percent of all seabirds have eaten plastic and nearly every one will have by 2050, according to a new study.
The report Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences said less than five percent of seabirds were carrying plastic in their bodies in the early 1960s, just after a boom in industrial plastic manufacturing.
The researchers say they found all sorts of plastic items inside seabirds, including balloons, glowsticks, cigarette lighters, model cars and toys.
They said albatross, penguins, shearwaters and seagulls are most likely to eat plastic, which can cause severe illness or death.
The birds mistake the plastic pollution for fish eggs or other legitimate food.
The study says while plastic ingestion has fallen around U.S. and European waters because of a reduction in the use of plastic pellets, it is especially bad in the Pacific near Australia and New Zealand where a large number of bird species live.
- ‘JSC, JDC exams to be held in time’
- Man dies falling from bus roof
- One killed in Ashulia ‘gunfight’
- AL party leaders to take preparation for next polls
- Little child electrocuted in Munshiganj
- ‘Hasina is a true leader of subcontinent’
- ‘AL now much stronger than before’
- Tigers’ marvellous bowling going on
- Cameroon train derailment kills 55
- PM opens Awami League council
- AL’s council: Khaleda,Fakrul invited
- RU student’s body found in campus drain
- Trump objects to say whether he will accept election result
- Dhaka-Mymensingh rail communication interrupted
- Losing toss,Tigers to bowl first
- Obama urges Trump to stop whining
- School girl pregnant!
- ‘Bangladesh becomes role model in ICT’
- Digital World-2016 starts at Bashundhara
- British Bangladeshis launched a Fashion Week in London
- Police stands against Rampal protesters
- Indian visa without e-token for BD students
- Sheikh Russel’s birth anniversary today
- Wondrous uses of baking soda
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia