Alternative to diesel!
After oil prices hit a record high in July 2008, the tiny Pacific nation of the Marshall Islands was forced to declare an economic emergency since about 90 percent of its energy needs were met by imported petroleum products.
The fuel price shock was a major incentive for the low-lying island country to reduce its reliance on diesel and other fossil fuels, and instead expand renewable energy.
Now 99 percent of the lighting on its outer islands is powered by solar, street lamps and water pumps also run on the sun, and solar energy is being fed into the otherwise diesel-powered grids on the main urban islands.
In its national contribution to a new global climate change deal now under negotiation, the Marshall Islands outlined in July more ambitious renewable energy measures for the future.
They include small-scale wind-power, expanding coconut oil production for use in electricity and transport fuel, introducing electric vehicles and solar-charged lagoon transport, and improving energy efficiency with pre-paid meters and heat recovery.
The planned steps are expected to replace more than one-third of fossil fuels for electricity and transport by 2030, helping meet emissions reduction goals of 32 percent by 2025 and 45 percent by 2030.
- President optimistic about formation of strong EC
- ‘Export earnings to exceed $60bn by 2021’
- Full verdict of Mufti Hannan published
- You need to eat more chocolate for best mood
- Salman Khan thanks fans for support in arm case
- Why not MP Rana’s bail, ask HC
- Peanut vendor’s story of learning English
- AD declares Kader Siddiqui’s nomination invalid
- Mushi to miss the 2nd test
- 'SAARC is very much alive'
- Arsenal Alexis Sanchez admits tax fraud
- 'Govt firm to ensure compliance in RMG industry'
- Man found dead with throat slit in Rupsha
- Graft case: 3 Agrani Bank officers jailed in Chittagong
- Mother gets death penalty for burning her daughter
- Sunamganj clash over water body grabbing kills 3
- ‘Eviction drive is human violation’
- Some common hair myths disclosed
- Shah Rukh raises the heat in new dialogue promo
- BCL leader found death in Amtola Beel
- 5 killed on the spot in a bus-truck collision
- Last man to walk on the moon died at 82
- Main suspected of Istanbul nightclub attack held
- Former Chief Justice MM Ruhul Amin no more
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!