'This is not an attack on the media'
A lawsuit filed against The Daily Star editor Mahfuz Anam from all over the country, the Prime Minister's information and communication technology adviser and his son Sajeeb Wazed Joy said that 'it is not an attack on the media'.
Joy wrote on his Facebook status that, 'This is not an attack on the media. It is also not even criminal litigation. It is civil litigation. This is what happens in all countries with a modern legal system. If you cause someone harm, the aggrieved party has every right to sue you for damages.'
He also wrote on his wall, 'Several of our “civil society” and newspaper editors are criticizing the civil defamation lawsuits filed against Mahfuz Anam following his admission of running a false smear campaign against my mother. Our Government has not filed a single case against him. The cases are all civil in nature, claiming damages and monetary compensation.
So I would like to ask, is the media immune from any liability whatsoever? Mahfuz Anam admitted to running not just one, but a series of false stories against my mother, the daughter of Bangabandhu Father of the Nation and at the time a former Prime Minister. As a consequence of his actions my mother, at her age, had to spend 11 months in prison. After all that, he says, “Oops, my mistake!” And we should all forget about it and move on? There should be no justice for my mother, my family and our party the Awami League? There should be no accountability?
Politicians have to abide by the law or go to jail, police have to abide by the law or go to jail, but there is no law against writing false stories. The only recourse that politicians and famous personalities have is civil law by claiming damages. If nothing else, at least the pain of legal fees and time in court should make a journalist think twice before publishing something false and destroying a person’s good name. Yet, this group does not want to be held accountable even to this low bar. Instead they want to throw mud and call it an attack on the media.'
He further comments that, 'If Mahfuz Anam is feeling harassed, perhaps he should find out what spending 11 months in jail on false charges feels like.'
- Govt. to take steps for quick trial of rape cases
- Fashion for TEENS
- 65% female MP are victims of sexual harassment
- Trump warns of World War-III
- 6 held with fake notes
- Youth held over Jhenidah schoolgirl stabbing
- Man killed in Joypurhat ‘gunfight’
- Govt raises allowances for freedom fighters
- Four ‘JMB men’ arrested in Bagerhat
- Man stabbed to death in Sunamganj
- Two killed in Jhenidah ‘shootout’
- Gunmen attack Pakistan police,59 killed
- Quader vows to bring significant change in AL
- Stalker who beats college girls held
- Coast guard official arrested on graft charges
- Indian forces kill 19 Maoists in Odisha
- Two held with yaba in Mathbariya
- ‘JSC, JDC exams to be held in time’
- Man dies falling from bus roof
- One killed in Ashulia ‘gunfight’
- AL party leaders to take preparation for next polls
- Little child electrocuted in Munshiganj
- ‘Hasina is a true leader of subcontinent’
- ‘AL now much stronger than before’
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia