Obama dances with an women, 106
Virginia McLaurin waited all her life to see an African-American in the White House. So, when she finally got a chance to meet President Obama, the 106-year-old woman couldn't contain her excitement.
She squealed with delight. She waved her cane in the air. And she danced -- busting moves that have made her the newest Internet darling.
“I tell you, I am so happy,” the diminutive but bubbly centenarian told the Obamas as they posed for photos.
“A black president. A black wife. And I’m here to celebrate black history. That’s what I’m here for.”
McLaurin’s visit was co-ordinated as part of Black History Month celebrations after months and months of campaigning.
A video of her celebrating Black History Month with the Obamas last week got people giddy on social media. Black History Month is celebrated every February, and it recognizes the contributions African-Americans make to the world.
More than 25 million people have seen the video since it was released Sunday night. The video was shared nearly 500,000 times on Facebook. McLaurin and the Obamas are two of Monday’s top trending subjects on Twitter.
The video shows McLaurin coming to meet President Obama and Michelle Obama. While posing for a picture after they are introduced, McLaurin says: “I am so happy. A black president, yay! A black wife! And I’m here to celebrate black history.”
- Judicial probe body blamed MP salim Osman for N'ganj teacher humiliation
- Henceforth Neimer’s goal
- US air strikes killed 80 IS militants
- 2nd phase of Biswa Ijtema begins today
- Home ministry divided into 2 divisions
- N’ganj teacher assault: probe report submitted
- Bad news for BCB
- 2nd phase of Biswa Ijtema starts Friday
- 39 jailed in India for human trafficking
- Reckless truck took away 24 children’s lives in India
- 15 members of ‘human trafficking gang’ held
- Robber killed in Kushtia ‘gunfight’
- 2 killed in Kushtia truck collision
- College student Juma’s assailant held
- President optimistic about formation of strong EC
- ‘Export earnings to exceed $60bn by 2021’
- Full verdict of Mufti Hannan published
- You need to eat more chocolate for best mood
- Salman Khan thanks fans for support in arm case
- Why not MP Rana’s bail, ask HC
- Peanut vendor’s story of learning English
- AD declares Kader Siddiqui’s nomination invalid
- Mushi to miss the 2nd test
- 'SAARC is very much alive'
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!