Dead Sea drying: A new low-point for Earth
The Dead Sea, the salty lake located at the lowest point on Earth, is gradually shrinking under the heat of the Middle Eastern sun. For those who live on its shores it's a slow-motion crisis - but finding extra water to sustain the sea will be a huge challenge.
If there's one thing everyone knows about the Dead Sea it is that you can't sink in it.
It is eight or nine times saltier than the oceans of the world - so dense and mineral rich that it doesn't even feel like normal water, more like olive oil mixed with sand.
For decades no holiday in the Holy Land or Jordan has been complete without a photograph of the bather sitting bolt upright on the surface, usually reading a newspaper to emphasise the extraordinary properties of the water.
But the Dead Sea is also a unique ecosystem and a sensitive barometer of the state of the environment in a part of the world where an arid climate and the need to irrigate farms combine to create a permanent shortage of water.
You may have read that the Dead Sea is dying. You can see why the idea appeals to headline writers but it isn't quite true.
- Messi already signed new contract with Barcelona
- Hartal on Tuesday protesting gas price hike
- 6 myths you probably don’t know about an aquarium
- ‘Anaarkali Of Aarah’ trailer releases, see it
- Hefazat protests against Greek statue in SC
- ‘Kim Jong Nam killed by VX nerve agent’
- 5 cops injured in Noakhali road crash
- Khadiza on way to home from CRP
- Shafik gets permission, leaves for London
- BNP demands rejecting gas price hike
- Bernicat meets Khaleda to understand political situation
- PM slams Khaleda for destroying dignity of Martyrs
- Tarana for expanding Ekushey spirit
- 3 Indian channels to continue in Bangladesh
- ‘Mass exile not goal of immigration memos’
- Young man kills 3 siblings in Narsingdi
- No more spam Calls with the Truecaller App
- Charge sheet to be submitted March 27
- ‘Kader mastermind of MP Liton’s murder’
- Driver gets life in Tareque, Mishuk killing case
- Sussanne Khan on bonding with Hrithik Roshan
- Liton murder: Ex-JP MP Kader Khan held in Bogra
- Growing attacks on troopers at border: BSF
- CJ apologises for not having Bangla in court
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!