Shoulder pain increases heart disease risk
Online Desk: If you are facing shoulder problems, they may be due to some heart disease risk factors - not just physical strain, warns a new study.
"If someone has rotator cuff problems, it could be a sign that there is something else going on. They may need to manage risk factors for heart disease," said the study's lead author Kurt Hegmann, Professor at University of Utah School of Medicine in the US.
For the study, the researchers examined data from 1,226 skilled labourers.
The more heart disease risk factors that each of the study participants had racked up -- including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes -- the more likely they were to have had shoulder trouble.
The participants with the most severe collection of risk factors were 4.6 times more likely than those with none of the risk factors to have had shoulder joint pain.
They were also nearly six times more likely to have had a second shoulder condition, rotator cuff tendinopathy.
Participants with mid-level heart risk were less likely to have had either shoulder condition, showed the findings published in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
"What we think we are seeing is that high force can accelerate rotator cuff issues but is not the primary driver," Hegmann said.
"Cardiovascular disease risk factors could be more important than job factors for incurring these types of problems," he added.
It is possible that controlling blood pressure and other heart risk factors could alleviate shoulder discomfort, too, Hegmann noted.
- ‘AL leaders desperate to cling to power fearing public wraths’
- UP chairman Akhi suspended over Nasirnagar attack
- The symptoms may be caused by a parasite carried by cat
- ‘Shah Rukh Khan spoilt me’
- Burmese army asks for 'time' to solve Rohingya crisis
- 2 suspects remanded over Liton murder
- Cricketer Sunny sued again for 'demanding dowry
- Landslide kills 2 in Sylhet
- ‘Terrorism main challenge to Bangladesh’s development’
- PM blasts media over shooting Gaibandha boy
- Snoring may cause a stroke!
- ‘Dangal’ makes history in Bollywood box-office
- Arafat Sunny put remand
- ‘Stay away from terrorism, militancy and drug’
- Death Reference of 7 murder case reached at HC
- Young girl allegedly raped in Habiganj
- 'Sunny shared nude photographs via Facebook'
- Former APS of Suronjit, Faruque jailed for 5 years
- Cricketer Arafat Sunny held
- Gambian leader Jammeh leaves power after 22 year
- 2nd phase of Biswa Ijtema ends seeking blessing and mankind
- Rain wasted 3rd day of test
- Indian Train derailed, 23 killed, 50 injured
- 11 stomach-flattening ingredients
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!