Florida airport shooting: Suspect in custody
International Desk: A lone gunman pulled a gun from his checked baggage and opened fire Friday at the Fort Lauderdale, international airport, killing five people and injuring eight others in a brief, bloody shooting rampage.
It happened at the baggage claim area in Terminal 2, just before 1300 local time (1800 GMT), the airport confirmed.
The gunman, believed to be an Iraq war veteran, was taken into custody.
The man in custody was identified by several officials as Esteban Santiago. Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) publicly identified the shooter as Santiago after being told the name by the head of the Transportation Security Administration, according to Ryan Brown, a spokesman for the senator.
Santiago, 26, was carrying an Army ID, according to three federal law enforcement officials.
Hundreds of people were standing on the tarmac outside the terminal as dozens of police cars and ambulances rushed to the scene.
Witnesses said the attacker walked along the baggage carousals, shooting people as they tried to run or hide. They said he appeared to be in his 20s, was wearing a Star Wars T-shirt and did not say anything as he fired.
- 5 cops injured in Noakhali road crash
- Khadiza on way to home from CRP
- Shafik gets permission, leaves for London
- BNP demands rejecting gas price hike
- Bernicat meets Khaleda to understand political situation
- PM slams Khaleda for destroying dignity of Martyrs
- Tarana for expanding Ekushey spirit
- 3 Indian channels to continue in Bangladesh
- ‘Mass exile not goal of immigration memos’
- Young man kills 3 siblings in Narsingdi
- No more spam Calls with the Truecaller App
- Charge sheet to be submitted March 27
- ‘Kader mastermind of MP Liton’s murder’
- Driver gets life in Tareque, Mishuk killing case
- Sussanne Khan on bonding with Hrithik Roshan
- Liton murder: Ex-JP MP Kader Khan held in Bogra
- Growing attacks on troopers at border: BSF
- CJ apologises for not having Bangla in court
- 12 natural mouth-freshers that you don't know before
- 6 killed, 14 injured in Pakistan court Bomblast
- Fizz, Rubel come back for Sri Lanka Tests in March
- Tigers pay homage to ‘Amar Ekushey’
- Nation paying tributes to language martyrs
- Quader demands to make Bangla as UN language
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!