Florida airport shooting: Suspect in custody
International Desk: A lone gunman pulled a gun from his checked baggage and opened fire Friday at the Fort Lauderdale, international airport, killing five people and injuring eight others in a brief, bloody shooting rampage.
It happened at the baggage claim area in Terminal 2, just before 1300 local time (1800 GMT), the airport confirmed.
The gunman, believed to be an Iraq war veteran, was taken into custody.
The man in custody was identified by several officials as Esteban Santiago. Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) publicly identified the shooter as Santiago after being told the name by the head of the Transportation Security Administration, according to Ryan Brown, a spokesman for the senator.
Santiago, 26, was carrying an Army ID, according to three federal law enforcement officials.
Hundreds of people were standing on the tarmac outside the terminal as dozens of police cars and ambulances rushed to the scene.
Witnesses said the attacker walked along the baggage carousals, shooting people as they tried to run or hide. They said he appeared to be in his 20s, was wearing a Star Wars T-shirt and did not say anything as he fired.
- Tigers leave a massive target for Sri Lanka
- Crocodile attack kills a man in Barguna
- Fakhrul questions death of bomb-carrier
- CCC polls is a challenge for democratic journey
- Saudi embassy confirms UK attacker from Saudi
- Nation observes 'Genocide Day' for the very first time
- Couple’s throat-slit bodies found in Bandarban
- 69 rescued from ‘Sylhet militant den'
- Teesta deal is a matter of time: Obaidul
- SWAT team begins operation in Sylhet ‘militant den’
- Mashrafe not fixating on rankings in ODIs
- The tortoise chases a ball around the room like a dog
- Kangana gifts herself a bungalow for 30th birthday
- Two more held over British parliament attack
- Mymensingh road crash kills 10
- Police call militants of ‘Atia Mahal’ for surrender
- General Diary filed over Bangladesh Bank fire
- Arifa’s ‘killer’ ex-husband arrested from Tangail
- Voting ends in Gaibandha-1 by-polls
- Tigers lose narrowly in the warm up match
- Spending on education not expenditure: PM
- No outlet in name of AL allowed: Obaidul Quader
- Contraceptive pill can slash the risk of ovarian,womb
- Salman becomes Bollywood’s highest advance tax payer
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!