Florida airport shooting: Suspect in custody
International Desk: A lone gunman pulled a gun from his checked baggage and opened fire Friday at the Fort Lauderdale, international airport, killing five people and injuring eight others in a brief, bloody shooting rampage.
It happened at the baggage claim area in Terminal 2, just before 1300 local time (1800 GMT), the airport confirmed.
The gunman, believed to be an Iraq war veteran, was taken into custody.
The man in custody was identified by several officials as Esteban Santiago. Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) publicly identified the shooter as Santiago after being told the name by the head of the Transportation Security Administration, according to Ryan Brown, a spokesman for the senator.
Santiago, 26, was carrying an Army ID, according to three federal law enforcement officials.
Hundreds of people were standing on the tarmac outside the terminal as dozens of police cars and ambulances rushed to the scene.
Witnesses said the attacker walked along the baggage carousals, shooting people as they tried to run or hide. They said he appeared to be in his 20s, was wearing a Star Wars T-shirt and did not say anything as he fired.
- PM on the way to return home
- A story of breast cancer sufferer
- Akshay Kumar takes a dip in the holy Ganga
- ‘RAB is not responsible for the Seven-Murder’
- Biswa Ijtema 2nd phase begins
- Kareena will join fashion week in Mumbai
- 2 arrested with huge fake passports in Mohammadpur
- 38 BNP leaders and activists arrested in Gaibandha
- 17 shops gutted in Borguna
- Tanu murder’s 10 months: rising anger and frustration
- Soumya and Shakib save Bangladesh, out for 289
- Judicial probe body blamed MP salim Osman
- Henceforth Neimer’s goal
- US air strikes killed 80 IS militants
- 2nd phase of Biswa Ijtema begins today
- Home ministry divided into 2 divisions
- N’ganj teacher assault: probe report submitted
- Bad news for BCB
- 2nd phase of Biswa Ijtema starts Friday
- 39 jailed in India for human trafficking
- Reckless truck took away 24 children’s lives in India
- 15 members of ‘human trafficking gang’ held
- Robber killed in Kushtia ‘gunfight’
- 2 killed in Kushtia truck collision
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!