World's first tuberculosis-resistant cows discovered
Online Desk: Designer cows have been created that are resistant to tuberculosis – one of the biggest problems facing dairy farmers around the world.
Badgers are controversially being culled in an effort to stop the bovine form of the disease, which would be unnecessary if cows can be made naturally resistant.
So advances in preventing the disease could be welcomed by farmers whose cattle have to be killed if they catch TB.
Researchers used a 'cut and paste' gene editing technology, known as CRISPR, to insert a new gene into the cow’s genetic codes.
The gene led to no adverse effects on the animal, according to the researchers, but did greatly increase TB resistance.
Scientists at the College of Veterinary Medicine, Northwest A&F University in Shaanxi, China, inserted a gene into the genetic code of calves.
Dr Yong Zhang, lead author of the research, said that insertion of a gene called NNRAMP1 led to disease resistant cattle.
He said: ‘We were then able to successfully develop live cows carrying increased resistance to tuberculosis.
'Importantly, our method produced no off target effects on the cow genetics meaning that the CRISPR technology we employed may be better suited to producing transgenic livestock with purposefully manipulated genetics.’
To carry out the process, the gene was inserted into the nucleus of another kind of bovine cell, called a fibroblast, taken from a cow foetus.
- 6 months’ jail for driving car without licence
- ‘Hasina supports India for making country desert’
- 13 year hell for Chinese man after traditional practice
- ‘Everyone is calling me a badass and I like it’
- India to seal border with Bangladesh and Pakistan
- HC to deliver verdict April 2 for Rajib killing
- Tigers starts campaign with a comfortable win
- Bandarban fire burns 30 shops, four houses
- Gunshots and blasts near militant den goes on
- ‘BNP patronized the fundamentalists forces’
- Sunny Leone’s beach holiday includes sun, sand and bikinis
- Two militants killed in Sylhet Militant den
- Al Qaeda leader Qari killed in US air strike
- Mehedi's ODI inclusion was my decision: Papon
- 13 killed and 9 injured in Chuadanga road crash
- Militancy will be dispelled, says PM
- Wounded Rab director Azad to be taken to Singapore
- Section 144 imposed near militant den Atia Mahal
- Grow up, being a little sad is not a sign of mental illness
- Katrina returns from the shoot of ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’ in Austria
- Tigers leave a massive target for Sri Lanka
- Crocodile attack kills a man in Barguna
- Fakhrul questions death of bomb-carrier
- CCC polls is a challenge for democratic journey
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!