6 myths you probably don’t know about an aquarium
Online Desk: Keeping fish in aquariums is a hobby which is quite common. People are often very apprehensive about keeping fish and having an aquarium.
In fact there are myths surrounding this hobby and believing in these can ruin your interest in this wonderful hobby.
The few myths that will be busted are as follows:
1. Maintaining a fish tank is very expensive
This is absolutely untrue. In fact the bigger the aquarium, the easier it is to maintain. Fresh water fish are very easy to maintain and cost effective. The fresh water fish are hardy and can easily adapt to new surroundings. The only possible expenses that come with maintaining a basic fresh water tank is the fish food, filtration and sufficient lighting. These costs are low and maintaining the aquarium becomes easier with these infrastructure.
2. The water in the tank has to be changed everyday
This is dangerously wrong and following this can actually kill your fish. The thumb rule is to never change the water completely. Water change ideally should be only 10-20 per cent every week. If you have a filtration system, then even a month's gap can be managed before changing 30-50 per cent water. The bacteria in the water helps the fish survive and changing the water completely may be harmful.
3. Catfish aka Sucker fish keeps the tank clean
Catfish are not hunters. They do not eat the feces of fish. It is actually unhealthy for any fish to do so. If there is algae, it needs to be scrubbed out. No fish can keep your tank clear and clean. It is highly unlikely that a catfish will keep your tank clean.
4. Small tanks should be for beginners
False. If you are starting out with this hobby, never go in for a small tank. Small tanks are very difficult to maintain. Big tanks are very easy to maintain and the mortality rate of the fish are also low. Keeping fish (especially Goldfish) in a fish bowl is a very bad idea. The fish have very little space to move around and can die easily.
5. Over-populating your tank is harmful
This is sadly, another myth. Fish need sufficient oxygen to breath, or they can suffocate in the tank. They also need to have their waste diluted and processed before they poison themselves with it. A fixed amount of water has a fixed capacity to handle these two requirements and only water change periodically is good enough for your tank.
6. Destroying the natural environment
Fish that are sold in aquarium pet shops are bred in captivity. These fish cannot survive in the natural surroundings and putting the fish back into the lake or river can actually spoil the ecosystem. These fish cannot survive in a natural environment where they have to scavenge for food or hide from other predators
Having a healthy fish tank is easy. All it needs is water change once or twice a month. Fishes are happier and stay healthy that way. If the water conditions are good, nothing more is needed.
- 6 months’ jail for driving car without licence
- ‘Hasina supports India for making country desert’
- 13 year hell for Chinese man after traditional practice
- ‘Everyone is calling me a badass and I like it’
- India to seal border with Bangladesh and Pakistan
- HC to deliver verdict April 2 for Rajib killing
- Tigers starts campaign with a comfortable win
- Bandarban fire burns 30 shops, four houses
- Gunshots and blasts near militant den goes on
- ‘BNP patronized the fundamentalists forces’
- Sunny Leone’s beach holiday includes sun, sand and bikinis
- Two militants killed in Sylhet Militant den
- Al Qaeda leader Qari killed in US air strike
- Mehedi's ODI inclusion was my decision: Papon
- 13 killed and 9 injured in Chuadanga road crash
- Militancy will be dispelled, says PM
- Wounded Rab director Azad to be taken to Singapore
- Section 144 imposed near militant den Atia Mahal
- Grow up, being a little sad is not a sign of mental illness
- Katrina returns from the shoot of ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’ in Austria
- Tigers leave a massive target for Sri Lanka
- Crocodile attack kills a man in Barguna
- Fakhrul questions death of bomb-carrier
- CCC polls is a challenge for democratic journey
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!