Mushfiq thinks Tigers have opportunity in SL
Sports Correspondent:Bangladesh Test skipper Mushfiqur Rahim thinks his team has a strong opportunity to pull off a win or two in their forthcoming series against Sri Lanka in the absence of some regular tormentors in opponent camp.
Team Tigers will leave Dhaka on Monday to play two Tests against the Sri Lankans– one in Galle from March 7-11 and another in the capital Colombo from March 15-19.
‘Every series is a new opportunity for us to do something good,’ Mushfq said during team’s official press conference in Dhaka ahead of their departure on Sunday.
‘They were going miss some players, who had been part of their team for many days. Regular captain Angelo Mathews will not be there in Tests match due to injury.
‘They will remain under little pressure because they know Bangladesh are also playing well for a long period. Considering all these factors, I would say we have good chance,’ he said.
Bangladesh played 14 Tests against Sri Lanka so far, the highest for the side against any opponent apart from Zimbabwe.
But they could manage just two draws against Sri Lanka in their previous two series.
Sri Lanka’s Kumar Sangakkara scored 1816 runs in 15 Tests at 95.69 while Mahela Jayawardene and Tillakaratne Dilshan are the only three players to score more than 1,000 runs Bangladesh in Tests.
Off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan claimed 89 wickets against the side in just 11 Tests to create a big difference between two teams.
With all of them now retired, Mushfiq said if Bangladesh can give their best they can still eke out a win or two in Sri Lanka.
‘Everything will actually depend on how we can give our best. If we can give our best, I am sure the result will come to our favour,’ he said.
‘We could take our level a little high which is a good thing.
‘I think Test, one-day international or Twenty20 international whatever the format is people now expect us to win.
‘We have three different types of bowler in Sakib (al Hasan), Mustafiz (Mustafizur Rahman) and Miraj (Mehedi Hasan). When they bowl together it would create pressure on any opponent.
Bangladesh recent performance in Tests will also help the side,’ believed Mushfiq.
‘We are going to play three series at a stretch which will keep us ahead. It was good thing for us,’ said Mushfiq.
- 6 months’ jail for driving car without licence
- ‘Hasina supports India for making country desert’
- 13 year hell for Chinese man after traditional practice
- ‘Everyone is calling me a badass and I like it’
- India to seal border with Bangladesh and Pakistan
- HC to deliver verdict April 2 for Rajib killing
- Tigers starts campaign with a comfortable win
- Bandarban fire burns 30 shops, four houses
- Gunshots and blasts near militant den goes on
- ‘BNP patronized the fundamentalists forces’
- Sunny Leone’s beach holiday includes sun, sand and bikinis
- Two militants killed in Sylhet Militant den
- Al Qaeda leader Qari killed in US air strike
- Mehedi's ODI inclusion was my decision: Papon
- 13 killed and 9 injured in Chuadanga road crash
- Militancy will be dispelled, says PM
- Wounded Rab director Azad to be taken to Singapore
- Section 144 imposed near militant den Atia Mahal
- Grow up, being a little sad is not a sign of mental illness
- Katrina returns from the shoot of ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’ in Austria
- Tigers leave a massive target for Sri Lanka
- Crocodile attack kills a man in Barguna
- Fakhrul questions death of bomb-carrier
- CCC polls is a challenge for democratic journey
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!