PM slams Muhith for microcredit remarks
Staff Reporter:The prime minister, Sheikh Hasina, on Saturday criticized her cabinet member AMA Muhith for praising the role of microcredit and Grameen Bank founder Muhammad Yunus in eradicating the country's poverty.
‘A couple of days back, our finance minister highly praised microcredit and said poverty eradication has been done successfully due to microcredit. If poverty has been reduced for him (Yunus) then why the poverty rate was 60 per cent and reduced to 22 per cent now,’ she said.
The prime minister was addressing at the national council of Bangladesh Mahila Awami League at Krishibid Institution, Bangladesh.
She said, ‘I’ll urge the honorable finance minister to take the statistics during which regime poverty has been reduced. This is, of course, during the Awami League regime. It came down due to steps taken by the AL government where the finance minister was involved.’
During the 1996-2001 rule, the prime minister said, then finance minister SAMS Kibria was involved. ‘As a result, the poverty has reduced.’
During the BNP’s rule and caretaker governments the poverty reduction pace got stalled, she said adding that as it was nourished through microcredit while the microcredit lenders accumulated wealth.
Hasina said the hard-earned money of the rural women is used for repaying the high interest rate of the microcredit. ‘They live from hand to mouth, but cannot come out from the poverty, and those who do the microcredit business don’t want poor people to come out of poverty cycle as it’ll stop their business.’
She said the main aim of her government is to remove poverty from the country. ‘It’s a matter of regret that he (finance minister Muhith) praised such a man who stopped the World Bank from financing the Padma Bridge project… I had been threatened repeatedly by the USA. But he highly appreciated that person,’ Hasina said.
The prime minister said she is there in politics to develop the fate of the country’s common people, not to do business with them.
- ‘Operation Twilight’ at Sylhet militant den concludes
- Idols destroyed at Belkuchi temples
- ‘EC behaves cruelly with AL candidate’
- Taskin's hat-trick restricts Sri Lanka at 311
- Shahrukh and Akshay to clash at the box-office
- Cyclone, heavy rain thrash Aus’ northeast
- Court asks Khaleda to appear on April 10
- Militant den Atia Mahal’s owner Ustar Ali
- 4 explosions heard at Sylhet Militant den
- 6 months’ jail for driving car without licence
- ‘Hasina supports India for making country desert’
- 13 year hell for Chinese man after traditional practice
- ‘Everyone is calling me a badass and I like it’
- India to seal border with Bangladesh and Pakistan
- HC to deliver verdict April 2 for Rajib killing
- Tigers starts campaign with a comfortable win
- Bandarban fire burns 30 shops, four houses
- Gunshots and blasts near militant den goes on
- ‘BNP patronized the fundamentalists forces’
- Sunny Leone’s beach holiday includes sun, sand and bikinis
- Two militants killed in Sylhet Militant den
- Al Qaeda leader Qari killed in US air strike
- Mehedi's ODI inclusion was my decision: Papon
- 13 killed and 9 injured in Chuadanga road crash
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!