‘Government to sit with Facebook this month’
Staff Reporter:The state minister for post and telecommunications on Tuesday said, the government will sit with social media giant Facebook within this month to stop the spread of “undesirable and objectionable content” in Bangladesh.
Social media sites have their own policies and guidelines and each country also has its own; and therefore care needs to be taken to ensure that the policies of social media sites are not in opposition of our social norms, laws and values, Tarana Halim said.
She was speaking with journalists at a two-day workshop titled “Digital Bangladesh: Cyber Crime, Safe internet and Broadband” which was auspicated by Speaker Shirin Sharmin Chowdhury at Le Meridien Hotel in the capital.
Tarana again said a separate desk needs to be inaugurated by Facebook for Bangladesh where complaints lodged by the Bangladesh government can be quickly processed.
Currently, it takes 48 hours for the Facebook authorities to respond to complaints lodged by the government.
There is a tendency among the young generation to fish for ‘likes’ and thus, they do not focus on the content, which is sometimes objectionable, the minister said, adding that, “We need to increase awareness among people on the use of internet.”
Earlier on December 8, 2015 the government sat with Facebook executives for the first time and expressed concerns about the negative impacts of the popular social platform and claimed that it was threatening national security.
- 6 months’ jail for driving car without licence
- ‘Hasina supports India for making country desert’
- 13 year hell for Chinese man after traditional practice
- ‘Everyone is calling me a badass and I like it’
- India to seal border with Bangladesh and Pakistan
- HC to deliver verdict April 2 for Rajib killing
- Tigers starts campaign with a comfortable win
- Bandarban fire burns 30 shops, four houses
- Gunshots and blasts near militant den goes on
- ‘BNP patronized the fundamentalists forces’
- Sunny Leone’s beach holiday includes sun, sand and bikinis
- Two militants killed in Sylhet Militant den
- Al Qaeda leader Qari killed in US air strike
- Mehedi's ODI inclusion was my decision: Papon
- 13 killed and 9 injured in Chuadanga road crash
- Militancy will be dispelled, says PM
- Wounded Rab director Azad to be taken to Singapore
- Section 144 imposed near militant den Atia Mahal
- Grow up, being a little sad is not a sign of mental illness
- Katrina returns from the shoot of ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’ in Austria
- Tigers leave a massive target for Sri Lanka
- Crocodile attack kills a man in Barguna
- Fakhrul questions death of bomb-carrier
- CCC polls is a challenge for democratic journey
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!