Know the side-effects of Holi and beware
Health Desk:It's high time to have a fun with colours, but experts have a word of cautions about the chemicals that hide in the air.
A fourth of Holi revellers in Kolkata end up with skin blisters, rashes and even burns that take months to heal. This is due to the high chemical content and harmful dyes that are often used to impart indelible marks that can't be easily washed away with soap. Lighter, organic colours are better, suggest dermatologists.
Most liquid colours are laden with metals and chemicals incompatible with skin, pointed out dermatologist P Laha. "Colours should be avoided for they are made of chemicals and automobile dyes, which are harmful for the skin. Other than causing rashes and blisters, they could even enter the bloodstream, which could be dangerous. Metals could affect the kidneys," he said.
Lead, mercury, cadmium, arsenic are commonly used in Holi colours, pointed out Debashish Saha, consultant, AMRI Hospitals. These could lead to anaemia, abnormalities in the blood, visual impairment, skin pigmentation disorders, blisters on palms and soles, Saha said. "We rarely bother to verify the quality of the colours we use. But once we have used it, the effects tend to last. The most common result of harmful colours are rashes and blisters. While these can be treated, it's the long-term effects that one needs to watch out for. In some cases, metal-laden colours could even lead to peripheral neuropathy or a loss of the motor power of limbs," said Saha.
Skin burns are not unusual either, according to Laha. "A few years ago, a youngster came to me with a scalded forearm, the result of using a dubious colour.On examining his arm, I found bits of metal in his skin.They hadn't even been ground with the rest of the colour. He had to be on drugs for several months," said Laha.
So, what is the solution? A thorough shower usually gets rid of the colour. In case there are rashes, consulting a doctor and taking anti-allergic medicine is the best bet.
- ‘Operation Twilight’ at Sylhet militant den concludes
- Idols destroyed at Belkuchi temples
- ‘EC behaves cruelly with AL candidate’
- Taskin's hat-trick restricts Sri Lanka at 311
- Shahrukh and Akshay to clash at the box-office
- Cyclone, heavy rain thrash Aus’ northeast
- Court asks Khaleda to appear on April 10
- Militant den Atia Mahal’s owner Ustar Ali
- 4 explosions heard at Sylhet Militant den
- 6 months’ jail for driving car without licence
- ‘Hasina supports India for making country desert’
- 13 year hell for Chinese man after traditional practice
- ‘Everyone is calling me a badass and I like it’
- India to seal border with Bangladesh and Pakistan
- HC to deliver verdict April 2 for Rajib killing
- Tigers starts campaign with a comfortable win
- Bandarban fire burns 30 shops, four houses
- Gunshots and blasts near militant den goes on
- ‘BNP patronized the fundamentalists forces’
- Sunny Leone’s beach holiday includes sun, sand and bikinis
- Two militants killed in Sylhet Militant den
- Al Qaeda leader Qari killed in US air strike
- Mehedi's ODI inclusion was my decision: Papon
- 13 killed and 9 injured in Chuadanga road crash
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!