Top 5 reasons mosquitoes bite you more than others
Online Desk:You might be one of those who often complain that mosquitoes bite them more than others. We often let it pass, thinking that unlike humans, mosquitoes are not a biased bunch. But science has an alternative answer. You can actually be loved by mosquitoes or repel them, depending on certain bodily factors. "There's a lot of research being conducted on what compounds and odors people exude that can attract mosquitoes," said Joe Conlon, PhD, technical advisor to the American Mosquito Control Association. And the number of these compounds is as high as 400. The research has just begun, but we do have certain decisive answers to this wringer. Here are a few factors that may be making you a mosquito magnet. And mind you, mosquitoes can smell them from as far as 50 meters.
1. Are you an A blood type or an O blood type? Felicitations to the former group as mosquitoes are attracted to people with O blood type twice more than A blood type, shows research. While for the B blood type, it was more than A type and less than O type. Besides the blood group, 85 per cent of people send across a signal about their blood type. Irrespective of their blood group, mosquitoes are more attracted to them.
2. Mosquitoes are attracted to all types of carbon dioxide. Because bigger people give off more carbon dioxide, mosquitoes bite them more than they bite children. For a similar reason, pregnant women are more susceptible to mosquito bites as they produce more carbon dioxide when they are pregnant than they do otherwise.
3. Mosquitoes are known to love heat, body movement and the smell of sweat. They can smell lactic acid, uric acid, ammonia and other such compounds that are contained in your sweat. This attracts them to you and with them, their bites.
4. Does your skin contain more amounts of steroids or cholesterol? This will attract more mosquitoes toward your skin. However, more cholesterol on the skin does not mean more cholesterol in the body. When your body is more efficient in processing cholesterol, it leaves by-products on the skin’s surface. And you attract more mosquitoes.
5. If mosquitoes are attracted more to you when your blood has beer is still under scrutiny. But a certain study had pointed out that due to the smell of ethanol in sweat after consuming beer could be triggering mosquitoes to attack you. Till a more decisive verdict comes out, be your own judge.
- 6 months’ jail for driving car without licence
- ‘Hasina supports India for making country desert’
- 13 year hell for Chinese man after traditional practice
- ‘Everyone is calling me a badass and I like it’
- India to seal border with Bangladesh and Pakistan
- HC to deliver verdict April 2 for Rajib killing
- Tigers starts campaign with a comfortable win
- Bandarban fire burns 30 shops, four houses
- Gunshots and blasts near militant den goes on
- ‘BNP patronized the fundamentalists forces’
- Sunny Leone’s beach holiday includes sun, sand and bikinis
- Two militants killed in Sylhet Militant den
- Al Qaeda leader Qari killed in US air strike
- Mehedi's ODI inclusion was my decision: Papon
- 13 killed and 9 injured in Chuadanga road crash
- Militancy will be dispelled, says PM
- Wounded Rab director Azad to be taken to Singapore
- Section 144 imposed near militant den Atia Mahal
- Grow up, being a little sad is not a sign of mental illness
- Katrina returns from the shoot of ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’ in Austria
- Tigers leave a massive target for Sri Lanka
- Crocodile attack kills a man in Barguna
- Fakhrul questions death of bomb-carrier
- CCC polls is a challenge for democratic journey
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!