Dr. Mohammad Yunus sued over 'unpaid arrears'
Staff Reporter:Staff at a Bangladeshi company established by microfinance pioneer Dr. Mohammad Yunus are suing the Nobel laureate over millions of dollars in allegedly unpaid dues, their lawyer said on Wednesday.
They said, Grameen Telecom (GT), which holds a roughly one-third stake in Bangladesh's largest mobile-phone operator, had a valid obligation to share profits with its employees.
The cases filed by 10 former and current employees name Grameen Telecom and its chairman Yunus, who won the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize after the success of his Grameen Bank in reducing poverty.
Lawyer Jafrul Hasan Sharif told AFP that GT reported profits of $260 million in the past decade but failed to pay staff their share.
"Under labour laws, Grameen Telecom must share five percent of its net profits with its employees and the government," he said.
"Its total due from 2006-2015 is 1.08 billion taka ($13.4 million) of which 80 percent should be paid equally to the the company's former and current employees," he added.
Managing director Ashraful Hassan, who is also named in the suit, said GT would fight the case and that all the profits had been ploughed back into the company.
"Their claim is not valid," Hassan said.
Yunus, Bangladesh's only Nobel laureate, could not immediately be reached for comment.
He set up Grameen Bank in 1983 to make collateral-free micro loans to rural entrepreneurs.
In 2011, he was forced off the bank's board in a move widely believed to have been orchestrated by Bangladesh's Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
Yunus had been at odds with her since 2007 when he made a brief foray into the country's highly polarised politics.
The celebrated former economics professor challenged his sacking in Bangladesh's highest court, but lost.
Hasina has accused Yunus of "sucking blood" from the poor, and in recent weeks suggested he was responsible for the World Bank pulling a $1.2 billion loan for a controversial bridge project.
- 6 months’ jail for driving car without licence
- ‘Hasina supports India for making country desert’
- 13 year hell for Chinese man after traditional practice
- ‘Everyone is calling me a badass and I like it’
- India to seal border with Bangladesh and Pakistan
- HC to deliver verdict April 2 for Rajib killing
- Tigers starts campaign with a comfortable win
- Bandarban fire burns 30 shops, four houses
- Gunshots and blasts near militant den goes on
- ‘BNP patronized the fundamentalists forces’
- Sunny Leone’s beach holiday includes sun, sand and bikinis
- Two militants killed in Sylhet Militant den
- Al Qaeda leader Qari killed in US air strike
- Mehedi's ODI inclusion was my decision: Papon
- 13 killed and 9 injured in Chuadanga road crash
- Militancy will be dispelled, says PM
- Wounded Rab director Azad to be taken to Singapore
- Section 144 imposed near militant den Atia Mahal
- Grow up, being a little sad is not a sign of mental illness
- Katrina returns from the shoot of ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’ in Austria
- Tigers leave a massive target for Sri Lanka
- Crocodile attack kills a man in Barguna
- Fakhrul questions death of bomb-carrier
- CCC polls is a challenge for democratic journey
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!