‘The darkest day in Sri Lankan cricket’
Sports Desk:Sri Lanka’s leading English language daily The Island carried out an obituary note in its Monday’s issue terming March 19th 2017 as ‘the darkest day in Sri Lankan cricket’.
It also carried an obituary plaque, similar to that of the legendary obituary notice by England’s Sporting Times after England’s historic defeat against Australia in August in 1882.
When Bangladesh scored their 100th Test with a marvelous four-wicket win against Sri Lanka at the P Sara Oval in Colombo on Sunday, the home side termed the loss, their first against Bangladesh, as the biggest embarrassment in their history of Test cricket.
“March 19th 2017 will go down in history as the darkest day in Sri Lankan cricket as world’s youngest cricketing nation Bangladesh stunned the hosts to record their maiden Test win over Sri Lanka at P. Sara Oval on Sunday,” read the Island, which also carried a cartoon featuring the cricket board president Thilanga Sumathipala carrying the coffin of its national team.
While criticizing the attitude, the paper also read: The Sri Lankans were cocky and their attitude shocking. Day four began with Sri Lanka still 75 runs behind. The batsmen below number six were told to relax and arrive at the ground at 9:30am, 30 minutes prior to start of play. It was as if the Sri Lankans were 300 runs ahead.
Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) tinkered with the P. Sara Oval wicket for this game. They called for a slow wicket expecting for a high scoring draw to complete a series win, but were outsmarted by a man who had plied his trade all his life at Tamil Union. Chandika Hathurusinghe is his name.
- Idols destroyed at Belkuchi temples
- ‘EC behaves cruelly with AL candidate’
- Taskin's hat-trick restricts Sri Lanka at 311
- Shahrukh and Akshay to clash at the box-office
- Cyclone, heavy rain thrash Aus’ northeast
- Court asks Khaleda to appear on April 10
- Militant den Atia Mahal’s owner Ustar Ali
- 4 explosions heard at Sylhet Militant den
- 6 months’ jail for driving car without licence
- ‘Hasina supports India for making country desert’
- 13 year hell for Chinese man after traditional practice
- ‘Everyone is calling me a badass and I like it’
- India to seal border with Bangladesh and Pakistan
- HC to deliver verdict April 2 for Rajib killing
- Tigers starts campaign with a comfortable win
- Bandarban fire burns 30 shops, four houses
- Gunshots and blasts near militant den goes on
- ‘BNP patronized the fundamentalists forces’
- Sunny Leone’s beach holiday includes sun, sand and bikinis
- Two militants killed in Sylhet Militant den
- Al Qaeda leader Qari killed in US air strike
- Mehedi's ODI inclusion was my decision: Papon
- 13 killed and 9 injured in Chuadanga road crash
- Militancy will be dispelled, says PM
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!