Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
Deepika Padukone says she has an issue when people "propagate objectification of a real person and not a character being played" and wants them to "respect" artists as women off-screen, reports the Deccan Herald.
Ever since she condemned a photo titled "OMG: Deepika Padukone's Cleavage Show" on Twitter, saying: "YES! I am a Woman. I have breasts AND a cleavage! You got a problem!!??", this has invited comments from all quarters - some favourable, others not so.
Setting the record straight and clarifying her point of view, the actress Friday issued a statement on her official Facebook page.
Her post is titled - "There is only ONE sign that a woman wants to have sex and that is that she says "YES". "The reason I write the above line is because we all know that in India we are so desperately trying to make a change in the way sections of our society think in order to move towards a happier world devoid of inequality, rape, fear and pain."
"I am not naive about my own profession; it is one that requires lots of demanding things of me. A character may demand that I be clothed from head to toe or be completely naked, and it will be my choice as an actor whether or not I take either. Understand that this is a ROLE and not REAL, and it is my job to portray whatever character I choose to play convincingly."
"What my concern is and I am stating it clearly so it is not misconstrued or confused with Shah Rukh's eight-pack or any other woman's or man's anatomy. I have spoken out against an ideology that such regressive tactics are still being employed to draw a reader's attention at a time when we are striving for women's equality and empowerment.
"In a time where women should be applauded for making headway in a male-dominated society, we blur the lines between REEL and REAL life and dilute all our efforts by making a one-year old back sliding piece of news a headline. Digging out an old article and headlining it "OMG: Deepika's Cleavage Show!" to attract readers is using the power of influence to proliferate recessive thought.
"When an actresses inner wear decides to do a "peek-a-boo", she most definitely did not step out with the intention to do so. So instead of zooming in, circling it and pointing arrows at it, why don't we give her some 'respect' and let it go instead of making it 'headlines'!? Are we not human? Yes we marvel, envy and drool over a male actors eight pack abs in a film, but do we zoom in on the man's 'crotch' when he makes a public appearance and make that 'cheap headlines'??!!," she wrote.
Deepika says that she has no issue celebrating her body and "I have never shied away from anything on-screen to portray a character". "In fact my next character portrayed is a bar dancer (in 'Happy New Year') (sorry Farah (Khan) for the spoiler!) who titillates men as a means to support her livelihood. My issue is you propagating the objectification of a REAL person, and not a character being played. Sure, dissect my characters if you wish - if it is of so much interest then discuss the character's cup size and leg length if it is relevant to making the role convincing. All I am asking for is respect (us) as a woman off-screen.
"It is not about breasts, penises, or any other body part being reported. It is a matter of context and how out-of-context the reportage is just to sell a headline. And more so during a time in dire need of an attitude shift towards women. "For me this topic ends here. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I have little interest to take this further as it might get more attention than it deserves and might be further misconstrued and twisted to sell more undeserved headlines.
"Having said that, please may we show love, dignity and respect to each other." The actress, who delivered four back to back hits with "Race 2", "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani", "Chennai Express" and "Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela", recently featured in "Finding Fanny" - an English language entertainer by Homi Adajania.
- Mother gets death penalty for burning her daughter
- Sunamganj clash over water body grabbing kills 3
- ‘Eviction drive is human violation’
- Some common hair myths disclosed
- Shah Rukh raises the heat in new dialogue promo
- BCL leader found death in Amtola Beel
- 5 killed on the spot in a bus-truck collision
- Last man to walk on the moon died at 82
- Main suspected of Istanbul nightclub attack held
- Former Chief Justice MM Ruhul Amin no more
- A policeman died in Savar bus accident
- For what reason did they kill and how?
- BNP announces new Jubo Dal committee
- Ancient Buddha statue discovered in China
- ‘7-murder verdict ensures justice’
- Trump vows ‘insurance for everybody’
- Deepika and Vin Diesel celebrate the success of ‘xXx’
- Red chilli may help you live longer
- ‘Seven-murder verdict proves rule of law’
- 4 women imprisoned without trial, attend in the HC
- PM reaches Davos to attend WEF
- 4 died in Bagerhat bus crash
- No serious injury, says Mushfiq
- Violence inside 2 prisons in Brazil leaves 26 dead
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!