Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
Emphasising the government’s increasing importance on renewable energy, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today said the target has been fixed to bring three million more families under renewable solar energy system through Infrastructure Development Company Limited (IDCOL) in the next three years.
“We’ve fixed target to provide solar energy facility to three million more families in the next three years through IDCOL,” she said while inaugurating the celebration programme, of reaching the landmark of installing three million solar home systems, at a city hotel.
Hasina said there is huge potential of solar based irrigation pumps in the country. At present, the number of diesel run irrigation pumps in the country is 14 lakh. “For these, we’ve to import huge quantity of diesel spending valuable foreign exchange.”
Besides, she said, to run the 150,000 electricity-run irrigation pumps the power grid has to bear immense pressure. “If a portion of these pumps can be put under the solar based irrigation system, the import of diesel will decrease significantly and the pressure on the national grid will lessen.”
Finance Minister AMA Muhith, PM's adviser for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Affairs Dr Towfiq-e-Elahi Chowdhury, State Minister for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Nasrul Hamid, World Bank Country Director Johaness CM Zutt and IDCOL executive director and CEO Mahmood Malik, also spoke at the programme, chaired by IDCOL chairman and ERD secretary Mohammad Mejbahuddin.
IDCOL was established on May 14, 1997 by the then Awami League government. The Company was licensed by the Bangladesh Bank as a non-bank financial institution (NBFI) on January 5, 1998.
Since its inception, IDCOL is playing a major role in bridging the financing gap for developing medium to large-scale infrastructure and renewable energy projects in Bangladesh. The company now stands as the market leader in private sector energy and infrastructure financing in Bangladesh.
- Home ministry divided into 2 divisions
- N’ganj teacher assault: probe report submitted
- Bad news for BCB
- 2nd phase of Biswa Ijtema starts Friday
- 39 jailed in India for human trafficking
- Reckless truck took away 24 children’s lives in India
- 15 members of ‘human trafficking gang’ held
- Robber killed in Kushtia ‘gunfight’
- 2 killed in Kushtia truck collision
- College student Juma’s assailant held
- President optimistic about formation of strong EC
- ‘Export earnings to exceed $60bn by 2021’
- Full verdict of Mufti Hannan published
- You need to eat more chocolate for best mood
- Salman Khan thanks fans for support in arm case
- Why not MP Rana’s bail, ask HC
- Peanut vendor’s story of learning English
- AD declares Kader Siddiqui’s nomination invalid
- Mushi to miss the 2nd test
- 'SAARC is very much alive'
- Arsenal Alexis Sanchez admits tax fraud
- 'Govt firm to ensure compliance in RMG industry'
- Man found dead with throat slit in Rupsha
- Graft case: 3 Agrani Bank officers jailed in Chittagong
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!