Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
Emphasising the government’s increasing importance on renewable energy, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today said the target has been fixed to bring three million more families under renewable solar energy system through Infrastructure Development Company Limited (IDCOL) in the next three years.
“We’ve fixed target to provide solar energy facility to three million more families in the next three years through IDCOL,” she said while inaugurating the celebration programme, of reaching the landmark of installing three million solar home systems, at a city hotel.
Hasina said there is huge potential of solar based irrigation pumps in the country. At present, the number of diesel run irrigation pumps in the country is 14 lakh. “For these, we’ve to import huge quantity of diesel spending valuable foreign exchange.”
Besides, she said, to run the 150,000 electricity-run irrigation pumps the power grid has to bear immense pressure. “If a portion of these pumps can be put under the solar based irrigation system, the import of diesel will decrease significantly and the pressure on the national grid will lessen.”
Finance Minister AMA Muhith, PM's adviser for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Affairs Dr Towfiq-e-Elahi Chowdhury, State Minister for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Nasrul Hamid, World Bank Country Director Johaness CM Zutt and IDCOL executive director and CEO Mahmood Malik, also spoke at the programme, chaired by IDCOL chairman and ERD secretary Mohammad Mejbahuddin.
IDCOL was established on May 14, 1997 by the then Awami League government. The Company was licensed by the Bangladesh Bank as a non-bank financial institution (NBFI) on January 5, 1998.
Since its inception, IDCOL is playing a major role in bridging the financing gap for developing medium to large-scale infrastructure and renewable energy projects in Bangladesh. The company now stands as the market leader in private sector energy and infrastructure financing in Bangladesh.
- Teesta deal is a matter of time: Obaidul
- SWAT team begins operation in Sylhet ‘militant den’
- Mashrafe not fixating on rankings in ODIs
- The tortoise chases a ball around the room like a dog
- Kangana gifts herself a bungalow for 30th birthday
- Two more held over British parliament attack
- Mymensingh road crash kills 10
- Police call militants of ‘Atia Mahal’ for surrender
- General Diary filed over Bangladesh Bank fire
- Arifa’s ‘killer’ ex-husband arrested from Tangail
- Voting ends in Gaibandha-1 by-polls
- Tigers lose narrowly in the warm up match
- Spending on education not expenditure: PM
- No outlet in name of AL allowed: Obaidul Quader
- Contraceptive pill can slash the risk of ovarian,womb
- Salman becomes Bollywood’s highest advance tax payer
- ICT to submit formal charges against Pak army
- 9 rescued while being trafficked to Malaysia
- 'Without Teesta, Prime Minister’s India visit hollow'
- Mufti Hannan opts to seek presidential mercy
- Keep watch on your children: Prime Minister
- Vodka drinkers at greater risk of injury
- Actress Nipun comes with new film ‘Dhushor Kuasha’
- Shakib-Al-Hasan regains top spot in 3 formats
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!