Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
Emphasising the government’s increasing importance on renewable energy, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today said the target has been fixed to bring three million more families under renewable solar energy system through Infrastructure Development Company Limited (IDCOL) in the next three years.
“We’ve fixed target to provide solar energy facility to three million more families in the next three years through IDCOL,” she said while inaugurating the celebration programme, of reaching the landmark of installing three million solar home systems, at a city hotel.
Hasina said there is huge potential of solar based irrigation pumps in the country. At present, the number of diesel run irrigation pumps in the country is 14 lakh. “For these, we’ve to import huge quantity of diesel spending valuable foreign exchange.”
Besides, she said, to run the 150,000 electricity-run irrigation pumps the power grid has to bear immense pressure. “If a portion of these pumps can be put under the solar based irrigation system, the import of diesel will decrease significantly and the pressure on the national grid will lessen.”
Finance Minister AMA Muhith, PM's adviser for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Affairs Dr Towfiq-e-Elahi Chowdhury, State Minister for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Nasrul Hamid, World Bank Country Director Johaness CM Zutt and IDCOL executive director and CEO Mahmood Malik, also spoke at the programme, chaired by IDCOL chairman and ERD secretary Mohammad Mejbahuddin.
IDCOL was established on May 14, 1997 by the then Awami League government. The Company was licensed by the Bangladesh Bank as a non-bank financial institution (NBFI) on January 5, 1998.
Since its inception, IDCOL is playing a major role in bridging the financing gap for developing medium to large-scale infrastructure and renewable energy projects in Bangladesh. The company now stands as the market leader in private sector energy and infrastructure financing in Bangladesh.
- Govt. to take steps for quick trial of rape cases
- Fashion for TEENS
- 65% female MP are victims of sexual harassment
- Trump warns of World War-III
- 6 held with fake notes
- Youth held over Jhenidah schoolgirl stabbing
- Man killed in Joypurhat ‘gunfight’
- Govt raises allowances for freedom fighters
- Four ‘JMB men’ arrested in Bagerhat
- Man stabbed to death in Sunamganj
- Two killed in Jhenidah ‘shootout’
- Gunmen attack Pakistan police,59 killed
- Quader vows to bring significant change in AL
- Stalker who beats college girls held
- Coast guard official arrested on graft charges
- Indian forces kill 19 Maoists in Odisha
- Two held with yaba in Mathbariya
- ‘JSC, JDC exams to be held in time’
- Man dies falling from bus roof
- One killed in Ashulia ‘gunfight’
- AL party leaders to take preparation for next polls
- Little child electrocuted in Munshiganj
- ‘Hasina is a true leader of subcontinent’
- ‘AL now much stronger than before’
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia