High hope on solar
The Infrastructure Development Company Ltd (Idcol) yesterday celebrated the installation of three million solar home systems (SHSs) in the country.
The three million SHSs installed under an Idcol programme are currently generating 135 megawatts of electricity in the off-grid areas, where electricity may not reach in the near future.
As a result, more than 15 million people are benefitting from solar electricity for lighting, watching TV, charging mobile phones and other low load appliances.
As of May, more than 3.1 million SHSs have been installed with support from the World Bank and other development partners, according to Idcol, the implementing agency.
Idcol, the state owned non-banking financial institution, has now set a target to finance six million such systems by 2017.
“We've set a target to provide solar energy facility to three million more families over the next three years through Idcol,” Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said while inaugurating the celebration programme at Sonargaon Hotel in Dhaka, reports UNB.
The PM said Idcol's Solar Home System is one of the largest and fastest growing off-grid renewable energy programmes in the world.
The primary objective is to supply clean electricity in the energy-starved off-grid rural areas of Bangladesh and hence, supplementing the government's vision of ensuring access to electricity for all by 2021.
During the last 15 years, Idcol has been playing a significant role in infrastructure development and generation of renewable energy and emerged as the biggest partner in financing these sectors, she added.
There is huge potential of solar-based irrigation pumps in the country, the PM said, as quoted by UNB.
At present, the number of diesel-run irrigation pumps in the country is 14 lakh, “For these, we've to import a huge quantity of diesel spending our valuable foreign exchange.”
Besides, she said, to run the 150,000 electricity-run irrigation pumps, the power grid has to bear an immense pressure. “If a portion of these pumps can be put under the solar-based irrigation system, the import of diesel will decrease significantly and the pressure on the national grid will ease.”
As part of the celebration, Idcol is organising a two-day fair on renewable energy at Sonargaon Hotel that begins today.
The Idcol Green Energy Expo will accommodate 50 stalls including 47 national and three international participants, Idcol said in a statement.
Idcol started financing SHSs in January 2003 with support from the World Bank and Global Environment Facility. The initial target was to finance 50,000 SHSs by June 2008, which was achieved three years ahead of schedule and with $2 million less than the projected cost, it said.
- PM on the way to return home
- A story of breast cancer sufferer
- Akshay Kumar takes a dip in the holy Ganga
- ‘RAB is not responsible for the Seven-Murder’
- Biswa Ijtema 2nd phase begins
- Kareena will join fashion week in Mumbai
- 2 arrested with huge fake passports in Mohammadpur
- 38 BNP leaders and activists arrested in Gaibandha
- 17 shops gutted in Borguna
- Tanu murder’s 10 months: rising anger and frustration
- Soumya and Shakib save Bangladesh, out for 289
- Judicial probe body blamed MP salim Osman
- Henceforth Neimer’s goal
- US air strikes killed 80 IS militants
- 2nd phase of Biswa Ijtema begins today
- Home ministry divided into 2 divisions
- N’ganj teacher assault: probe report submitted
- Bad news for BCB
- 2nd phase of Biswa Ijtema starts Friday
- 39 jailed in India for human trafficking
- Reckless truck took away 24 children’s lives in India
- 15 members of ‘human trafficking gang’ held
- Robber killed in Kushtia ‘gunfight’
- 2 killed in Kushtia truck collision
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!