Marco Rubio Moves Toward 2016 Presidential Bid
Sen. Marco Rubio has begun taking concrete steps toward launching a presidential bid, asking his top advisors to prepare for a campaign, signing on a leading Republican fundraiser, and planning extensive travel to early-voting states in the coming weeks, ABC News has learned.
"He has told us to proceed as if he is running for president," a senior Rubio advisor tells ABC News.
WATCH: Sen. Marco Rubio: Yes, I’m Ready to be President
Marco Rubio Insists Jeb Bush Won't Affect His 2016 Timetable
Leading the effort to raise the $50 million or more he’ll need to run in the Republican primaries will be Anna Rogers, currently the finance director for American Crossroads, the conservative group started by Karl Rove that raised more than $200 million to help elect Republicans over the past two elections.
Rogers will begin working at Rubio’s political action committee on February 1 and would become the finance director of Rubio’s presidential campaign.
Rubio, 43, will gather on Friday and Saturday at the Delano Hotel in Miami with 300 supporters and major donors to his Reclaim America PAC to discuss his political future.
Aides expect Rubio will make a final decision in the comings weeks, but his schedule for the next month already looks more like the schedule of a presidential candidate than a senator.
ABC News has learned Rubio plans to skip all votes in the Senate next week and instead take a campaign fundraising swing through California with events in Beverly Hills, Newport Beach, Rancho Sante Fe and Costa Mesa. He also plans fundraising stops in Texas and Chicago.
Rubio has also scheduled a book tour that will take him to all the early primary states. A senior aide to the Florida senator tells ABC News Rubio’s book tour will include stops in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida and Nevada. The first stop is tentatively scheduled for February 13 in Des Moines.
- Why not MP Rana’s bail, ask HC
- Peanut vendor’s story of learning English
- Appellate Division declares Kader Siddiqui’s nomination invalid
- Mushi to miss the 2nd test
- SAARC is very much alive, says PM
- Arsenal Alexis Sanchez admits tax fraud
- Govt firm to ensure compliance in RMG industry, says PM
- Man found dead with throat slit in Rupsha
- Graft case: 3 Agrani Bank officers jailed in Chittagong
- Mother gets death penalty for burning her daughter
- Sunamganj clash over water body grabbing kills 3
- ‘Eviction drive is human violation’
- Some common hair myths disclosed
- Shah Rukh raises the heat in new dialogue promo
- BCL leader found death in Amtola Beel
- 5 killed on the spot in a bus-truck collision
- Last man to walk on the moon died at 82
- Main suspected of Istanbul nightclub attack held
- Former Chief Justice MM Ruhul Amin no more
- A policeman died in Savar bus accident
- For what reason did they kill and how?
- BNP announces new Jubo Dal committee
- Ancient Buddha statue discovered in China
- ‘7-murder verdict ensures justice’
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!