Microsoft announces Windows 10 will be free, unveils hologram glasses
All we expected from Microsoft’s Windows 10 event was a preview of some new features coming in the next version of Windows and Windows Phone and maybe the next version of Office. In a presentation that lasted for more than two hours, Microsoft surpassed those expectations wildly. Not only did it announce a fundamental shift in the firm’s pricing strategy for Windows, it showed off a futuristic holographic computing experience called HoloLens.
Windows 10, expected on the market this autumn, will be available for one year as a free upgrade to users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1, announced Terry Myerson, who runs Microsoft's operating systems group. This is a marked change for Microsoft, which has charged for new versions of Windows, one of its main profit drivers.
The new 'free' strategy is aimed at establishing Windows on as many devices as possible, and then trying to make up for lost revenue by selling valuable services such as Office over the internet, or cloud.
"It's a necessary evil as CEO Satya Nadella and Microsoft have recognized the 'golden goose' and major revenue opportunities will happen after the upgrades have taken place" Daniel Ives, an analyst at FBR Capital Markets, told Reuters. "Microsoft needs to lay seeds for its cloud-centric strategy and Windows 10 is the epicenter of that strategy. It's all about making it attractive for the ecosystem to upgrade onto this next-generation platform."
The move is a recognition that, in the last decade, Windows, featured on roughly 15% of computing devices including phones and tablets, has become largely irrelevant for many consumers. Microsoft hopes that by making the software free, it will attract the more than 1 billion personal computer users of Windows to run it on other devices.
Microsoft’s second major announcement was a device called the HoloLens, which looks like a wireless visor. It ups the stakes in the emerging market for virtual reality, being targeted by Facebook’s Oculus.
- 9 rescued while being trafficked to Malaysia
- 'Without Teesta, Prime Minister’s India visit hollow'
- Mufti Hannan opts to seek presidential mercy
- Keep watch on your children: Prime Minister
- Vodka drinkers at greater risk of injury
- Actress Nipun comes with new film ‘Dhushor Kuasha’
- Shakib-Al-Hasan regains top spot in 3 formats
- 'Militants planning to attack on government foundations'
- At least 26 die due to hunger in Somalia
- ‘No foreign troops would be tolerated’
- HEC students stage demonstration again
- HC asks BMCH doctors to join work today
- Full verdict released, no bar to execute Hannan
- Cops raid 2 ‘militant dens’ in Chittagong city
- ‘The darkest day in Sri Lankan cricket’
- New mums feel more judged by 'food police'
- Amitabh shares a post: ‘Death, the inevitable end’
- Cabinet approves 25 march as Genocide Day
- 20 students die in freak tree accident in Ghana
- Robbers loot 25 vehicles in Chuadanga
- Dinajpur 'Pir' murder: Main accused detained
- 3 frauds held with fake passports, visas
- HC seeks progress report on Padma inquiry
- SC orders to finish trial of Ekramul killing case
- Iran is the world's most powerful people salimi
- Prostitution picnic spot, detain 96
- Now Shakib Khan will acting with Pauli Dam
- Respect us as women off-screen: Deepika
- Bangladesh is now one of the over millions of Facebook users.
- Renewable energy for 3m families: PM
- Cosmic connect and colours of passion
- High hope on solar
- Pipra Bidya
- Zimbabwe fold for 368
- The meal will sleep problems
- Lawyers meet Kamaruzzaman at jail
- Indictment hearing against Fakhrul, 66 others on Dec 8
- Embattled health secretary quitsBreaking
- Easy way to identify harmful drug feeding cows
- I wish Upen and I continue, says Karishma Tanna
- Craze Mahiya mahiya’s hijab fashion!
- Reduction the age of marriage for girls!
- Jhalakathi death toll rises to 10
- No less than 453 slaughtered in Saudi Arabia
- Facebook Status: calm to raise the temperature of Sylhet
- Detectives have neglected insurgency in Syria: Obama
- Hrithik told to stay away from me: Katrina
- Nudulase raise interest being dope remix!