Dhaka, Tue, 25 Sep, 2018

Trump pulls out of summit with North Korea’s Kim Jong-un

25 May, 2018 17:40:00

US President Donald Trump has announced he will not attend a planned meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, raising concerns tensions between the two nations will escalate again with the threat of war.

In a letter sent to Kim on Thursday, Trump said the summit - which had been scheduled for June 12 in Singapore - would no longer be possible "based on the tremendous anger and open hostility" shown by Pyongyang in its most recent statements.

"The world and North Korea has lost a tremendous opportunity for lasting peace and great prosperity and wealth," Trump wrote. "This missed opportunity is truly a sad moment in history."

The meeting would have been the first time a sitting US president met a North Korean leader.

"The world and North Korea has lost a tremendous opportunity for lasting peace and great prosperity and wealth," Trump wrote. "This missed opportunity is truly a sad moment in history."

The meeting would have been the first time a sitting US president met a North Korean leader.

"You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used," said Trump.

North Korea called Trump's decision "unexpected" and "regrettable" and expressing willingness to talk to the United States "at any time, [in] any format".

A statement by Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan Kim said Pyongyang's "objective and resolve to do our best for the sake of peace and stability of the Korean Peninsula and all humankind remain unchanged".

"As far as the historic [North Korea]-US summit is concerned, we have inwardly highly appreciated President Trump for having made the bold decision, which any other US presidents dared not, and made efforts for such a crucial event as the summit," Kim said.

A statement earlier on Thursday from Pyongyang referred to Vice President Mike Pence as a "political dummy", and said it is just as ready to meet in a nuclear confrontation as at the negotiating table with the United States.

In a later statement at the White House, Trump said the US military is "ready if necessary" to respond to a "foolish or reckless act" by North Korea.

"Our military is the most powerful in the world. We are more ready than we have ever been before," Trump said.

The Pentagon said it was prepared for any "provocative actions" from North Korea.

"We are in a boxer stance, we are ready to respond," Lieutenant General Kenneth McKenzie, director of the US military's Joint Staff, told reporters.

"We'll see what develops over the next few days. If any provocative actions occur from [North Korea], we will certainly - in concert with our allies and partners in the region - be ready for it."

View image on Twitter


 

Editor In Chief: Amirul Islam
BD24Live Media (Pvt.) Ltd.
House # 35/10, Road # 11, Shekhertek, Mohammadpur, Dhaka - 1207.
Mobile: +88 01863719828, Phone: (+88) 02-58157744. 
Email: info@bd24live.com